We train the next generation of inclusive arts facilitators.
MixAbilities is our six-module training program designed to enhance access to the arts by ensuring artists and educators are trained to effectively and empathetically support participants who are Deaf and those with disabilities.
Recipient of the 2018 City of Kingston Access Award in the category of Education.
Sharing Our Approach
H’art Centre believes that a large pool of artists and educators who are trained in our approach and understand the factors that create exclusion in the arts will create a ripple of positive influence.
MixAbilities is for advanced volunteers, field placement students, visiting artists, and local arts educators to gain unique access to our inclusive arts facilitation techniques.
H’art Centre has introduced over 1500 volunteers, placement students, community artists and arts educators to our approach since 1998. We launched the MixAbilities Inclusive Arts Training Program, a formal blueprint of our approach to meaningful arts programming, in 2018.
What to Expect
We are also continuously developing new tools and training modules for MixAbilities. We plan to launch a training stream to benefit community arts groups, associations, and collectives and we are proud to introduce a new tool in Fall 2020 –– the Inclusivity Guide! You can request it using the form below.
Request Our Inclusivity Guide
A one-stop resource designed to help you consider the accessibility of your next art-based or public event. This guide will help you:
- Improve the accessibility of your next event
- Increase your awareness of accessibility
- Fill your organization’s knowledge gap
- Ensure events intended for the public can be attended by the public
- Any change you make towards improved accessibility will have a profound impact on the quality of life of people in your community.
- This is a living document. We will update and improve the information and user experience based on your suggestions and recommendations. So, please contact us if you have any feedback.
- Give 24-48 hours to receive the Guide in your inbox.
Inclusivity Guide Request Form
What We're Up To
Check out our latest activities, events, and projects. Find out ways you can get involved!
We decided to create a new way for H'art collectors to...
Our shiny new site is live! ✨ With this launch, the last piece of our refreshed brand identity...
H'art launched a new tool last week. The Inclusivity Guide is a one-stop resource for community...
You can be part of what makes H’art Centre a joyful, safe, welcoming, and inclusive place.
Become a volunteer and start your MixAbilities journey.
237 Wellington St., Kingston, Ontario, K7K 0B5